That One Minecraft Server We All Play On
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Server

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Server Empty New Server

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 am

The new machine is an HP XW8000 workstation. It has a dual 3.6ghz processor and right now only 2gb of ram. it seems the max ram is 12GB, which is awesome. The problem is the ram in my other computer won't work. This computer uses DDR2, I've been told (ram info). I figured I'd ask if anyone had some spare old DDR2 ram laying around to donate to the server. Right now it's got 4 512MB sticks. ( If you're upgrading your ram or computer, keep our need in mind.

Also we'll need a good backup plugin, since I'll no longer be monitoring the server in a window on my computer. I'm also open to giving sirrus and carver some kinda secure access to the new server itself so they can restart it, add/remove plugins, etc.

We're still on the old server for now, as I've having trouble getting this new one to work. It just keeps saying no operating system found, I'm trying to get it to load from the cd-rom but it doesn't seem to want to. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

New Server Empty Re: New Server

Post  FSCarver Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:16 am

I might have some DD2 RAM lying around, but I think it´s only a few hundred MB from what I remember.
Probably not even worth the trouble of getting it all the way to the US.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:11 am

I still have my old computer, which I believe used four 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks. If so I'll see about shipping them to ya (planned on selling the computer, but don't think I'll get much at this point).

I've never set up remote access on a computer before. If you could get that to work (and obviously make sure it's secure as hell) that would make managing the server a LOT easier.
sirrus86
sirrus86

https://www.facebook.com/sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am

Progress! I got it to boot ubuntu from the CD. now to find a working HD and try installing it....

Oh and thanks sirrus, that would bring it up to 5GB which is what I allocate to the server now.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 pm

ok we're now on the new server. The processor is slightly faster but it only has 2Gigs of ram for now. Lets stress test this thing.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Some worlds aren't there yet for some reason, like World. Ghis, Mereen, and Myr are all there for now.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  JJoiler Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:ok we're now on the new server. The processor is slightly faster but it only has 2Gigs of ram for now. Lets stress test this thing.

Fuck.Yeah.
JJoiler
JJoiler

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 am

JJoiler wrote:
HeyLookoverthere wrote:ok we're now on the new server. The processor is slightly faster but it only has 2Gigs of ram for now. Lets stress test this thing.

Fuck.Yeah.

haha I already blew up the ship in naath, it held up pretty well but then there were just two people on.

Logblock works but the logs were erased again, and dynmap is down. I'll work on getting dynmap back up again tomorrow if it doesn't cause too much lag. It may have to wait till I get more RAM.

Edit: looks like mcprofiler (/note, /status) also used MySQL and so we probably lost some notes and shit.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:45 am

Alright I just froze it with too much TNT. Hold off on further stress testing until I get more ram.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 am

Seems like it crashed sometime this morning while I was asleep. It's back up now. I really need to find some more ram.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Just went to the site you linked in the first post, says your computer will take DDR-266 PC2100 RAM, unfortunately the sticks I have are DDR2-800 PC6400, which isn't backwards compatible with (and won't fit) your computer's motherboard, unless it's not the stock motherboard.

Good news is looks like they're only $30/1GB stick, which isn't bad... unless your computer requires they be installed in pairs.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 pm

sirrus86 wrote:Just went to the site you linked in the first post, says your computer will take DDR-266 PC2100 RAM, unfortunately the sticks I have are DDR2-800 PC6400, which isn't backwards compatible with (and won't fit) your computer's motherboard, unless it's not the stock motherboard.

Good news is looks like they're only $30/1GB stick, which isn't bad... unless your computer requires they be installed in pairs.

Wow yeah I did some research and this computer requires ECC ram (something about error correction.) Anyway we should have another 2 gigs in 6-16 business days. That'll make 4 gigs which should be fine for now. A buddy of mine is gonna check the offices he IT's for and try to come up with another 2 gigs. (they do have to be installed in pairs.)

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:25 am

Alright, now I need a hard drive. The old 80GB one I was using has some problem in it's PCB and doesn't work most of the time. I just figured before I try to buy one I'd ask if anyone had an IDE hard drive they weren't using. The cable it connects to looks like this:

New Server 800px-PATA-cable

It doesn't have to be too big, 20GB should be fine. I have laptop drives that I can connect via USB for backups and stuff. I just need a drive that I can install linux on and that will boot. (the computer's BIOS doesn't support USB booting.)

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 am

I have 5 or so lying around...just how would I get it all the way to the US?

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 pm

FSCarver wrote:I have 5 or so lying around...just how would I get it all the way to the US?
Get a large bottle, put the hard drive inside, and throw it into the ocean. Then Hlot will just have to visit the beach for the next several months.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:30 pm

sirrus86 wrote:
FSCarver wrote:I have 5 or so lying around...just how would I get it all the way to the US?
Get a large bottle, put the hard drive inside, and throw it into the ocean. Then Hlot will just have to visit the beach for the next several months.
Suuuure, I'll swim along with it to make sure it arrives there in the promised 4 months waiting time.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Hmm.. I don't think I've ever shipped anything internationally before, so I have no idea how expensive it could be. Probably isn't worth the hassle for you, but thanks anyway.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I've unloaded many of the maps as I prepare to move to the new server. Mereen, Ghis and Myr will remain there and open until the last possible moment. All the maps will be back once we get to the new server. World is 3.22 gigs (Ivalice is 2.1) so it's easier to move it over now than have to move it all at once later.

Edit: also I'm copying the plugin folder now, so don't bother making any setting/permission changes from this point on, as they won't be carried over.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

You got the new HD installed already?

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:51 pm

ubuntu is installing now, I'm copying the files onto a laptop HD that I'm using to transfer them

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:05 am

Since 7 hours I am unable to connect to both the server and the pc

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:57 am

FSCarver wrote:Since 7 hours I am unable to connect to both the server and the pc

thing reset for some reason and was stuck at the login screen

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:14 am

and i seemed to have used the /stop command by using control+c...
Trying to figure out how to get it back up.

uodate: and now i'm not getting a connection via uvnc either

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:10 am

so far remote access is causing more problems than it's solving.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:15 am

by the way the terminal command to start it is java -Xincgc -Xmx2560 - jar craftbukkit.jar

you have to be in the right directors so you may have to do cd MC first

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next