That One Minecraft Server We All Play On
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skagos - Rules and Info

+2
HeyLookoverthere
sirrus86
6 posters

Go down

Skagos - Rules and Info Empty Skagos - Rules and Info

Post  sirrus86 Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Before you continue be sure you've read Hlot's post about 1.3 and his rules for this world, which will take priority over whatever you read here.

1. What is Skagos?
Several months ago some players had the idea of creating a sort of Castle Wars world, where the player base would be divided into teams. These teams would build fortresses, farm resources, and eventually go to war with each other. The world was called Westeros, and it was partially credited for increasing our player base while maintaining it as well. Eventually the Factions plugin was added to streamline the teaming process, adding several protections and aiding players in distinguishing between teams. After several months of success, interest in Westeros began to decline, in part due to not having rules and structure built ahead of time. I eventually took it upon myself to try and keep it alive, but ultimately Westeros became abandonned.

With Minecraft 1.3 coming soon, several features are about to be added to the game, many of which encourage the playstyle previously seen in Westeros, such as trading. As someone who fought to keep Westeros afloat (and admittedly put a ridiculous amount of time into), I wanted people to have another chance to get the feeling of being on a team, working toward a common goal, and having a common rival.

This world is Skagos.

2. The plan.
The first step to Skagos is already in effect. The town which will serve as the world's spawn and main trading hub is currently being built in Myr. Anyone with permission to access Myr may come and contribute, so long as the town's theme is maintained. This will hopefully be completed before or soon after Minecraft 1.3 goes live.

Once MC 1.3 is out, as Hlot has stated the vanilla world will possibly be the one used for Skagos. Until certain plugins are updated this will be a free-for-all survival world, no factions, etc. Once Factions, Multiverse, and WorldEdit are up to date, a new spawn point will be created and the spawn town will be imported. This spawn town will be safe-zoned to prevent griefing and PvP before players will be allowed in.

Keep in mind any of the below information is subject to change.

3. Common questions.
Q: When is Minecraft 1.3 coming out?
A: No idea, but seeing as recent snapshots seem to be focusing less on content and more on fixes, it should be soon.

Q: What ranks will be allowed in Skagos?
A: All ranks may enter by default.

Q: Will my buildings in the vanilla world be carried over when it becomes Skagos?
A: Yes. However your personal inventory may be wiped clean, so be sure to have everything in chests before everything else is implemented. Also keep in mind the spawn point will be moved. Hlot will be providing a temporary warp to the original spawn point so as to allow players to recover their inventory, after which the warp will be disabled.

Q: What type of world will be used to generate Skagos?
A: Skagos will use the Large Biomes generator. A seed hasn't been picked; it'll either be random or undisclosed. It'll be on normal/medium difficulty.

Q: Will there be spawn protection?
A: Yes. Using the Factions plugin, the spawn area will be protected against griefing and PvP BEFORE players are allowed in.

Q: Will griefing be allowed in Skagos?
A: Yes, but only in circumstances where it is used to gain entry where it's otherwise prohibited. Exceptions are TNT, fire, and lava which, should they damage a building other than your own (or belonging to your faction), will be considered a punishable offense.

Q: Will theft be allowed in Skagos?
A: Yes, but only if the chest you are stealing from is unlocked.

Q: Will farm-raiding be allowed in Skagos?
A: Yes, but with the intent of taking the farm's contents, not just for destruction (you don't use fire to raid a tree farm).

Q: Will village razing be allowed in Skagos?
A: Yes, though it will be frowned upon. Villagers are pivotal to enforcing an economical balance in Skagos. By destroying a village, you're eliminating a potential trading spot for everyone. Don't be surprised if a faction opts to avenge them...

Q: Will there be a Nether and The End for Skagos?
A: Yes. There are also possible plans for sub-worlds dedicated to giving players more chances at better items for Skagos.

4. Plugin questions.
Q: How will Tele++ function in Skagos?
A: Players in Skagos cannot teleport, and cannot be teleported to.

Q: How will MyHome and MyWarp function in Skagos?
A: While /warp <warp name> and /home will continue to function, players may not create warps or set their home in Skagos.

Q: No warping? Oh noes! How will I get to far away places?
A: I suggest you build a railway.

Q: Will iConomy be active in Skagos?
A: No. Emeralds will be used as currency.

Q: Will LWC be active in Skagos?
A: No. Ender chests will be used as a means of secure personal storage, as they're impossible for any other player to access.

Q: Will LogBlock be active in Skagos?
A: Yes, but only by Admins and only to undo collateral damage that results in a player's punishment (mistakes won't be rolled back, but punishable griefing will). LogBlock teleporting will be disabled.

Q: Will Silk Spawners be active in Skagos?
A: No. Players are encouraged not to break spawners as this will result in no drop.

Q: Will XPBank work in Skagos?
A: Yes. All xp balances in Ghis will be wiped clean, and the plugin will henceforth only work in Skagos (unless there's multiworld support).

Q: Can we add <insert plugin name here> to Skagos?
A: Probably not. Aside from the Factions (and possibly Powers) mechanic Skagos will be as vanilla as possible.

Q: Will we be using the Factions plugin again?
A: Most likely, however I'll be changing how it works this time, as opposed to how it worked in Westeros.

Q: What happens to current factions?
A: They'll be deleted. All of them. Even mine.

Q: How big or small can factions be?
A: Factions will be required to consist of two or more people; factions with only one member will be deleted unless they're brand new. Factions are encouraged to have at most five members.

Q: How will the faction power mechanic be altered?
A: Regardless of how many members you have, your faction can have at most 50 power. Power will not drop below 0. Enemy factions will not be able to claim an opponent's land from them.

Q: How will protections in claimed land be changed?
A: Claimed land prevents neutral factions from placing/breaking blocks and interacting with things like doors and chests. Enemy factions will be allowed to break blocks, including chests, but only if there are members of the defending faction online to defend it.

Q: Will the Powers plugin be active?
A: Yes, but only following a careful audit of the current powers database. Expect several balance updates.

5. Faction rules
- Factions that are not brand new must maintain a roster of two or more members. Factions which fail to do this will be disbanded, causing all land claimed to become unclaimed.
- Factions claim land in 16x16 chunks. The first chunk claimed should contain the faction's home location. All following claims must be adjacent to the first.
- Faction fortresses must be accessible from the surface, though what presence you have on the surface can be of any degree you wish.
- Both factions must agree to go to war, though either faction can return the alignment to neutral.
- Defending factions may use TNT, fire, and lava as deterrents within their own base. Using TNT, fire or lava in an enemy's base is prohibited unless the defending faction gives permission. The exception to this rule is powers.
- Griefing, raiding, or anything similar within the base of one's own faction is not a bannable offense and must be dealt with by the faction's leader or moderators. The maximum punishment a faction leader or moderator can deal to a member of the same faction is expulsion from the faction.

If anyone has any further questions, feel free to ask and me or Hlot will answer them. I'll add them to the above list as they're asked.

Last edited by sirrus86 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
sirrus86
sirrus86

https://www.facebook.com/sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Skagos - Rules and Info Empty Re: Skagos - Rules and Info

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Yggdrasil is a tree that is the center of the new world. The world itself will be called Skagos, in keeping with the Game of Thrones naming convention.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:33 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:Yggdrasil is a tree that is the center of the new world. The world itself will be called Skagos, in keeping with the Game of Thrones naming convention.
Fixed.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

sirrus86 wrote:

3. Common questions.
Q: When is Minecraft 1.3 coming out?
A: No idea, but seeing as recent snapshots seem to be focusing less on content and more on fixes, it should be soon.

I hope so, but sorta doubt it. They've combined SMP and SP and it's glitchy as hell and more resource intensive. It'll probably be at least two weeks, but I hope I'm wrong.

Q: Will my buildings in the vanilla world be carried over when it becomes Skagos?
A: IF the same world is used, then yes. However your personal inventory may be wiped clean, so be sure to have everything in chests before everything else is implemented. Also keep in mind the spawn point will be moved, so it may be difficult to find your buildings again.

It will be the same world, and this is a very good point. I'll make a warp at the old spawn once we update to bukkit and give people a chance to get their old inventories.

Q: Will there be a Nether and The End for Skagos?
A: I'd hope so, though I believe Hlot will have to make this possible.

no problem. We could even take it further if we really wanted. Skagos could have it's owk skygrid map (with rare loot hidden to make it worth the risk) etc.

Q: How will Tele++ function in Skagos?
A: Players in Skagos cannot teleport, and cannot be teleported to. The exceptions are Admins, who may only teleport to players for admin-related business. Admins who do teleport to players of an opposing faction in Skagos are encouraged to vanish first, as the player has a justifiable right to attack and kill you.

right now no one can TP in Skagos (except of course ops.)

Q: Will LWC be active in Skagos?
A: Yes, though players are encouraged to keep its usage to a minimum. It will not function automatically.

Maybe we could leave it off entirely and rely on enderchests as the only true safe storage? Just a thought.

Q: Will LogBlock be active in Skagos?
A: Yes, but only by Admins (Mods can still do lookups) and only to undo collateral damage that results in a player's punishment (mistakes won't be rolled back, but punishable griefing will).

LB TP will be disabled, for obvious reasons. I wouldn't even let mods have lookups frankly.

Q: Will the Powers plugin be active?
A: I actually created the Powers plugin with Skagos in mind. At this time the answer is yes.

I have my reservations about powers and balance, how can I say no when you created it with Skagos in mind. You put a lot of work into that plugin and frankly it's one of the coolest ones out there, so power are of course in. I think we should also make use of the scrolls component of MagicSpells (like back in skyrim. ) Maybe I'll revive the Ancient Cave plugin if I have the time. (Probably not.) but anyway there will be some way to find randomly placed scrolls each containing a spell with a preset number of uses.

Also I'll reiterate here what I said in the other thread. Any form of cheating/abuse will not be tolerated. using an X-ray pack or other mods will get you banned. Violating one of the rules will get you banned. It doesn't matter if it's our fault cause of a permissions error or whatever. Banned. No second chances.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Updated.

I agree on the Ender Chest idea; I'd totally forgotten about it.

And I definitely understand the balance issue for Powers; hearing people tell me that so-and-so is overpowered reminds me that I need to be more careful about this. After the next plugin update I'll be putting more effort in balancing out the powers.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:50 pm

sirrus86 wrote:Q: Will village razing be allowed in Skagos?
A: No. Since villagers are a pivotal piece of maintaining an economy, destroying villages will be a punishable offense. You can however add onto or restructure a village. You may also relocate at most two villagers from a native village into another or your own.

Maybe this should be more community enforced than mod enforced. In other words if someone/faction slaughters innocent villagers, we all put aside our differences to murder them and sac their base.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:
sirrus86 wrote:Q: Will village razing be allowed in Skagos?
A: No. Since villagers are a pivotal piece of maintaining an economy, destroying villages will be a punishable offense. You can however add onto or restructure a village. You may also relocate at most two villagers from a native village into another or your own.

Maybe this should be more community enforced than mod enforced. In other words if someone/faction slaughters innocent villagers, we all put aside our differences to murder them and sac their base.
Sounds reasonable. I only added this because without villagers the world economy will basically have no standard, and the only place to get emeralds will be from extreme hills. But, if worse comes to worse, we can always repopulate a village... or people will just need to go find another one to trade with.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm

So if all goes to plan on 7/25 Skagos will open and be vanilla for at least a week until 1.3 officially comes out and bukkit updates. In the meantime you will be able to access all the old worlds with plugins at merp.mooo.com:25555.

For now there's a snapshot server running at merp.mooo.com:25555 if anyone just wants to fuck around, but none of what you do will be carried over come the 25th.

After the 25th merp.mooo.com will point to the vanilla 1.3 server, and merp.mooo.com:25555 will point to the creative/oldworlds/bukkit server. We'll put a sign at skagos spawn explaining for people who don't come on here.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Improved performance
Accelerated chunk loading
Decreased lag spike frequency
Made the Nether less laggy
Made chat work smoothly even when the server is laggy
Decreased unnecessary world updates
Decreased packets sent between client and server
Fixed some bugs
Fixed existing signs not showing text
Fixed Mob Spawners all looking like pig spawners
Fixed multiple chunks often not displaying
Fixed trying to spawn an entity that is not a mob via spawner editing crashing the game

yaaaay.

If they actually do a pre-release tomorrow, Skagos will begin.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Kamyarm007 Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 am

Died cause of a mysterious drowning glitch in the new world, god those biomes are awful, ocean and snow mostly.

Kamyarm007

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 am

Kamyarm007 wrote:Died cause of a mysterious drowning glitch in the new world, god those biomes are awful, ocean and snow mostly.

It's still on a snapshot now, I think the plan is to do the pre-release tomorrow? If you really found a glitch you should report it and hopefully they'll fix it before the real release.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 pm

I hope we're not going to use the current world for Skagos?

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby16may Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:41 pm

When will we be switching over? Can't wait to get at the new world! Very Happy
bobby16may
bobby16may

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:44 pm

FSCarver wrote:I hope we're not going to use the current world for Skagos?

no no there'll be a fresh world.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm

bobby16may wrote:When will we be switching over? Can't wait to get at the new world! Very Happy

Tomorrow, if they really come out with the 1.3 Pre-release. We're not really switching so much as having both. Normal worlds will continue to function at merp.mooo.com, and those who update to the pre-release can connect to merp.mooo.com:25555 and enjoy vanilla 1.3/Skagos a week early.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 am

Client
Server

Go git it.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  aung77 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 am

sirrus86 wrote:Go git it.

I goat it, naow I weight.

aung77

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 am

aung77 wrote:

Me too, but I'm fucking yo damn couch waiting for it to go up.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby16may Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am

FSCarver wrote:
aung77 wrote:

Me too, but I'm fucking yo damn couch waiting for it to go up.

FUCK YO COUCH!
bobby16may
bobby16may

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 am

sorry, just woke up. Its up now.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am

after some initial biome confusion and TERRIBLE LAG we seem to have it running smoothly for now.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby16may Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:after some initial biome confusion and TERRIBLE LAG we seem to have it running smoothly for now.
it's down
bobby16may
bobby16may

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Just a heads up, the dungeon plugin was removed for causing freezes, but since no one was on but me I re-added it and flew around the dungeon to generate it some. Then I removed the plugin to prevent further freezing issues. Anyway the dungeon is restocked again, and I'm not raiding it cause it doesn't seem fair to restock it just to then loot it myself. So first come first serve! so far no one has found a scroll yet I'm not even 100% sure they will work, so lemme know if you find one.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Can we get that note plugin back that allows you to check the IP of players?

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down