That One Minecraft Server We All Play On
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permissions update recommendations

+5
HeyLookoverthere
LinkCLX
JJoiler
FSCarver
sirrus86
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Permissions update recommendations - Page 2 Empty Re: Permissions update recommendations

Post  dustynbush Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 am

Awesome, thanks buddy. I honestly have no idea when I'll be on today. It'll be sometime today for sure, just not sure when.

dustynbush

Back to top Go down

Permissions update recommendations - Page 2 Empty Re: Permissions update recommendations

Post  sirrus86 Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Currently members of the Trial group are able to use TNT and fire. This should probably be disabled, as TNT and explosion damage can't always be accurately rolled back. Hlot if you could (or anyone that knows WorldGuard) see about disabling this; if I knew how to in-game I would, but I think it's a config thing.
sirrus86
sirrus86

https://www.facebook.com/sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 pm

sirrus86 wrote:Currently members of the Trial group are able to use TNT and fire. This should probably be disabled, as TNT and explosion damage can't always be accurately rolled back. Hlot if you could (or anyone that knows WorldGuard) see about disabling this; if I knew how to in-game I would, but I think it's a config thing.

My thinking was basically:
A) let them have tnt, it makes the griefers more obvious
B) fuck mereen.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm going to keep this short.

I think we should remove Moderators having standard access to Myr, and just give access on a case to case again.

So far the new kid-mods are using Myr to build the wooden houses you build on your first day just to survive the night, and spleef arenas.
It's also a popular sport to just mess around with WE, using it to make diamond/gold/iron box shaped houses.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknova777 Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 pm

So when does this take place?

blacknova777

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 am

blacknova777 wrote:So when does this take place?

The new ranks/perms?
They're already implemented.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 pm

FSCarver wrote:I'm going to keep this short.

I think we should remove Moderators having standard access to Myr, and just give access on a case to case again.

So far the new kid-mods are using Myr to build the wooden houses you build on your first day just to survive the night, and spleef arenas.
It's also a popular sport to just mess around with WE, using it to make diamond/gold/iron box shaped houses.

I agree, Myr was originally supposed to be a locked world. I suppose we could make another flat world and give everybody access and WE for people to learn how to use WE, and then if they get good enough at it/we trust them they can sorta take a quick WE test and earn WE use elsewhere.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 pm

blacknova777 wrote:So when does this take place?

Soon as I can make it on. I got stuff goin on, should be on later though.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  JJoiler Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:
FSCarver wrote:I'm going to keep this short.

I agree, Myr was originally supposed to be a locked world. I suppose we could make another flat world and give everybody access and WE for people to learn how to use WE, and then if they get good enough at it/we trust them they can sorta take a quick WE test and earn WE use elsewhere.

JJoiler
JJoiler

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Until further notice Moderators no longer have access to Myr by default. Following this change I made specific exceptions for dustynbush, EZCOFLOUNDER, and Fyrecat, as they already have structures in Myr and have more than proven their abilities. Admins will obviously continue to have access to Myr.

Some Moderators may still be able to access Myr if they were ever given specific permissions. These have not been removed at this time, but if you're a Moderator and find you are able to access Myr, please notify an Admin. In any case, those currently with specific rights (other than the people I mentioned above) to Myr may lose them at any time.

Furthermore, if you are a Moderator (or an incredibly talented Member) who would like access to Myr, you may be granted access by an Admin following a demonstration of the Admin's choosing.

Admins:
To remove a player's access to Myr, type:
/perm player unsetperm <name> multiverse.access.myr
To grant a player access to Myr, type:
/perm player setperm <name> multiverse.access.myr true

For anyone who doesn't know what Myr is, it's a creative flatland world originally created per request of dustynbush. The original purpose of the world was to allow our more talented builders the freedom to create masterpieces without threats (griefing, monsters, etc) or moderation. Access to Myr is considered a premium perk, and should only be granted to those who can be trusted to provide a positive contribution to the world.

Some people (like myself) can't build for shit but just want to see what other people have built. While this isn't reason enough to permit access to Myr, keep in mind Moderators can copy their structures from Myr and place them in other creative worlds (such as Mereen). If you want to see someone's work, ask them, and they might be inclined to bring a copy of it to a world you have access to.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Per Hlot's request, Admins can no longer modify group or player permissions. Exceptions are myself, FSCarver, and heylookoverthere.

There are many reasons for this change.
1) We're finding that unintended changes to permissions keep happening. It's currently assumed that this is caused by the permissions plugin itself, not by any individual. To rule out other Admins only those who use permissions most often will be making changes.
2) Permissions are very powerful and can easily compromise the server if handled incorrectly, regardless of intentions.
3) Permissions seem to be very sensitive. For example, modifying a player's permissions will sometimes knock them out of their current group, in turn becoming part of no group at all, which leaves them with no permissions (can't build, can't speak, etc).

This change is not meant to be a penalty. To my knowledge many players (including other Admins) mostly depend on Hlot, Carver and I to maintain and correct permissions anyway, so this really won't be a huge change for most Admins.

Finally, I've set it so Admins can still promote and demote other players using /perm player setgroup <player> <group>.

Let me know if there are any other permissions issues.
sirrus86
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2