That One Minecraft Server We All Play On
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DayZ

+3
B4ckst4b
JJoiler
HeyLookoverthere
7 posters

Go down

DayZ          Empty DayZ

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DayZ

DayZ is an open world survival horror video game mod for the 2009 computer game ARMA II and its 2010 expansion pack, ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. It has been widely praised in the game media for its innovative design elements, with Kotaku and Eurogamer describing it as possibly the best zombie game ever made,[2][3] and PCGamer saying it was one of the most important things to happen to PC Gaming in 2012.[4] The mod was responsible for putting the three year old game into the top seller charts for over seven weeks, spending much of this time the top selling game[5][6], and is responsible for over 300,000 unit sales within two months of it's release. [7]

Anyone try this? I'm seriously considering ordering ARMA II.

haha I logged onto steam and it was the first thing that popped up. $30. Think I'm gonna take the plunge.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

DayZ          Empty Re: DayZ

Post  JJoiler Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 pm

wait for the summer sale!! its gotta start soon!
JJoiler
JJoiler

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

JJoiler wrote:wait for the summer sale!! its gotta start soon!

TOO LATE.

Also,
http://games.on.net/stockholm-syndrome-how-six-men-kidnapped-me-in-dayz/

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  JJoiler Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:
JJoiler wrote:wait for the summer sale!! its gotta start soon!

TOO LATE.

Also,
http://games.on.net/stockholm-syndrome-how-six-men-kidnapped-me-in-dayz/

Your going to be mad when it goes off 50%!
JJoiler
JJoiler

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Reception

The mod has garnered a large user base due to its unique gameplay.[9] By June 2012, two months after release, the mod had registered 300,000 unique users with 90,000 of those users online within a 24 hour period[11], despite the great difficulty involved with both downloading and installing the mod. Although, this has been made a lot easier with use of third-party software. The mod became extremely popular, very quickly, and received wide media attention despite Diablo III releasing at the same time.[12]
[edit]Developer reception
The developer of ARMA 2, Bohemia Interactive, praised the mod with CEO Marek Spanel saying the mod creates an addictive and thrilling experience, believing that it could stand as a gaming experience on its own, and saying the mod was directly driving sales of the game.[13]
The mod also received praise from video game developers not involved with the series. Kristoffer Touborg from EVE-Online developer CCP stated in an interview that the mod was very innovative, better than Diablo III, and the best game he had played for months.[14] He praised the mod for innovating within the FPS genre, which he viewed as traditionally the least imaginative of video game genres.
[edit]Critical reception
Wired said it could well be the most terrifying game of 2012.[15]
Rock Paper Shotgun reporter Jim Rossignol praised it as is the best thing he'd played so far in 2012.[16]
Kotaku described it as possibly the greatest zombie game ever made,[2] and said it was the most interesting PC game of 2012.[17] The mod has been compared to The Walking Dead and its focus on interactions between the characters when faced with their desperate situation, with the players in DayZ forced to deal with dilemmas in similar ways as portrayed in both the comics and TV series for the franchise.[18]
Bit-tech stated that no other game in the genre has offered such a compelling take on a zombie apocalypse, and compared the impact of the mod on the industry to that of DOTA and Counter-Strike.[19]
PCGamer widely praised the game, stating it was one of the most important things to happen to PC Gaming in 2012.[4]

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  B4ckst4b Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:45 am

Would get if I had a more powerful computer...

How cheap can a good PC be?

B4ckst4b

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:50 pm

B4ckst4b wrote:Would get if I had a more powerful computer...

How cheap can a good PC be?
doooooooooo iiiit. I dunno maybe $500? it's a three year old game it shouldn't require top of the line stuff.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

DayZ          Empty Impressions now that I've played for about an hour and a half

Post  HeyLookoverthere Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:32 pm

I'll start with the negatives. The game has a big learning curve, the controls are complicated and unlike most other shooters. It's definitely a little clunky. Also there is no goal other than survive. It's somewhat like Minecraft in that regard, only the map isn't randomly generated. (http://dayzdb.com/map) You spawn at the coast and have to move inland to find the best items. It is frustrating. When you die, you're dead. you lose all your shit. You will die. You will die from Zomibes, fall damage, players you don't even see. If you get wounded you will die if you don't patch yourself up in time. I finally got a gun and was eaten soon after.

That said, if you can get past the rough edges that come from it being an alpha mod of a 3 year old game it has a lot to offer. It's probably the best zombie apocalypse simulator out there. games like Dead Island are designed for mass appeal. This mod was designed for people who wish the zombie apocalypse would really happen. I can't wait to get a group together and actually be able to survive for more than an hour.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:55 pm

HeyLookoverthere wrote:I'll start with the negatives. The game has a big learning curve, the controls are complicated and unlike most other shooters. It's definitely a little clunky. Also there is no goal other than survive. It's somewhat like Minecraft in that regard, only the map isn't randomly generated. (http://dayzdb.com/map) You spawn at the coast and have to move inland to find the best items. It is frustrating. When you die, you're dead. you lose all your shit. You will die. You will die from Zomibes, fall damage, players you don't even see. If you get wounded you will die if you don't patch yourself up in time. I finally got a gun and was eaten soon after.

That said, if you can get past the rough edges that come from it being an alpha mod of a 3 year old game it has a lot to offer. It's probably the best zombie apocalypse simulator out there. games like Dead Island are designed for mass appeal. This mod was designed for people who wish the zombie apocalypse would really happen. I can't wait to get a group together and actually be able to survive for more than an hour.
Sounds frustrating, but realistic. The only way to play is to play well... reminds me of Dark Souls.
sirrus86
sirrus86

https://www.facebook.com/sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Well this fucked me over, that DayZupdater told me I had to update Java and so I did.
Now Minecraft isn't working...

I'll give it another try tomorrow, after I fix my Java.

FSCarver

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Amra II combined operations is now only 17.99 on steam. I haven't been playing this due to my Civ V addiction, but would still like too if anyone feels like getting it.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknova777 Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 pm

I have a couple of questions, how many people are on the servers? do you always spawn on the beach? can you fix helicopters? could we form a bandit group or is that ridiculously hard?

blacknova777

Back to top Go down

Post  dustynbush Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I might get it once I get over my The Last Remnant addiction.

dustynbush

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 am

blacknova777 wrote:I have a couple of questions, how many people are on the servers? do you always spawn on the beach? can you fix helicopters? could we form a bandit group or is that ridiculously hard?

The servers hold up to 60 pepole, you always spawn on a beach but not always the same spot. I know you can fix and ride cars and bikes I dunno about helicopters. Surviving is hard, but probably easier in a group. Your equipment stays with you across servers.

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  HeyLookoverthere Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 pm

The psychological/community aspect of this game remains the most interesting:

HeyLookoverthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: