Plugin Idea: Powers

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plugin Idea: Powers

Post  sirrus86 on Fri May 04, 2012 8:08 am

So I came up with what I think would be an AWESOME idea that could possibly be implemented into Ghis, Warzone, SurvivalGames and/or Midgar: SUPERPOWERS!

The idea is each person would get one passive perk and one active ability of their choosing. Nothing overpowered, but enough to make you stand out. This would always be unique to you; no one else could get these abilities, and you would always have them. It would be permissions-based, assigned directly to the player, and could be made to only work in certain worlds.

Passive perks would be where an effect would automatically trigger under given circumstances. It could even be immunity to a certain potion effect, or elements like fire or drowning.

Rules for passive perks:
1) Try to limit the number of effects in your perk.
2) The effect cannot make you invincible (no "immune to damage" or "regen 10 hearts per second" bullshit).
3) The perk must utilize effects already present within vanilla Minecraft (so no "grows a beard" Clown... sorry).
4) The perk cannot break server rules, such as griefing.

Examples of passive perks:
- Regen health over time while in fire or lava
- Waterbreathing
- Can always sprint
- Immunity to poison

Active abilities would be where you create an effect through an action, such as hitting something with a specific item.

Rules for active abilities:
1) You can only have a few effects take place.
2) No insta-kill or overly debilitating abilities.
3) Again, it must utilize effects which already exist in Minecraft.
4) Again, it can't break server rules.
5) The target must be able to avoid or mitigate the effect. No homing primed TNT.

Examples of active abilities:
- Left-click a bone to summon a tamed wolf to come to your aid (requires and consumes 5 bones).
- Left-click a bow to fire three arrows in front of you at minimum power.
- Left-click flint and steel to shoot a fire charge (requires and consumes a fire charge).

You can name your perk and ability as well. For example, what I came up with for myself:

Perk: Dark Regen
Slowly regenerates health while in darker areas. Emits enderman particle effects while in the dark.
Ability: Endervention
Creates a cosmetic explosion, spawning an enderman at his location before teleporting himself a few meters away in a random direction. Trigger: Left-click ender pearl at enderman's spawn location. Consumes ender pearl.

If others are interested I can start working on creating this plugin. Give me your opinions, and if you want any perks/abilities list them below.

Last edited by sirrus86 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sirrus86

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Re: Plugin Idea: Powers

Post  FSCarver on Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 am

You should totally do this, it sounds like an awesome idea.

FSCarver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B4ckst4b on Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Metal Cap: Your skin is now made of iron! Careful take to many hits and it'll break! Also stay away from fire!

Flight cap: Why walk somewhere when you can fly! You'll need a running start though!

Invisible cap: Sneak around undetected by enemies. Watch out though it's still a prototype so it'll shut off when you hit someone!

Haha, should be fairly obvious where I got these. All are abilities I guess

B4ckst4b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Fri May 04, 2012 2:05 pm

B4ckst4b wrote:Metal Cap: Your skin is now made of iron! Careful take to many hits and it'll break! Also stay away from fire!

Flight cap: Why walk somewhere when you can fly! You'll need a running start though!

Invisible cap: Sneak around undetected by enemies. Watch out though it's still a prototype so it'll shut off when you hit someone!

The idea is you get one perk and one ability. Metal Cap is probably the easiest to make; you'd get a unique resistance effect that could stack with armor. Just need a way to trigger it (left-click with an item?). You can still pick a passive perk, and I'll try to get it in there.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FyreCat on Fri May 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Fyre's Aura.
Immunity to lava fire damage.
Fyre Arrow.
Turns all arrows into fire arrows.
FyreCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B4ckst4b on Fri May 04, 2012 3:07 pm

sirrus86 wrote:
B4ckst4b wrote:Metal Cap: Your skin is now made of iron! Careful take to many hits and it'll break! Also stay away from fire!

The idea is you get one perk and one ability. Metal Cap is probably the easiest to make; you'd get a unique resistance effect that could stack with armor. Just need a way to trigger it (left-click with an item?). You can still pick a passive perk, and I'll try to get it in there.
Ya I know, but I was just throwin out ideas for people =P

B4ckst4b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LinkCLX on Fri May 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Here's a few ideas I have.
Passive: Increase the effectiveness of potions.
Gain a few seconds of immunity to damage when eating golden apples. (Cannot be stacked by eating more apples)
Enchanted gear lasts longer

Active: Putting a regular item like a bow in the same dispenser as an enchanted bow will repair the enchanted bow, while keeping the enchantment.
Hitting a player with a fishing line will allow you to fling them towards you.
Drinking a water potion will increase combat damage or fill up the hunger bar slightly.

Let me know what you guys think Smile

LinkCLX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Fri May 04, 2012 6:54 pm

FyreCat wrote:Fyre's Aura.
Immunity to lava fire damage.
Fyre Arrow.
Turns all arrows into fire arrows.

Somehow I saw that coming... Fyre's Aura I'm confident I can do, the Arrow one might be tricky but I'll see what I can do.

LinkCLX wrote:Passive: Increase the effectiveness of potions.
Gain a few seconds of immunity to damage when eating golden apples. (Cannot be stacked by eating more apples)
Enchanted gear lasts longer

Active: Putting a regular item like a bow in the same dispenser as an enchanted bow will repair the enchanted bow, while keeping the enchantment.
Hitting a player with a fishing line will allow you to fling them towards you.
Drinking a water potion will increase combat damage or fill up the hunger bar slightly.

Potions: I can make consumed potions stronger and/or last longer, if that's what you mean.
Apples: I LIKE this idea. Making it stack would be harder anyway; by design it'd probably reset the counter with each consumption.
Enchanted gear: Last longer? You mean more durable? Might be doable.

Bow repair: So basically if RepairDispenser worked with bows? I wouldn't be able to make this unique; it'd probably end up being universal.
Fishing line: I know for a fact another server plugin we use does stuff with fishing lines, so this would probably create a conflict.
Water potion: THIS I can work with. Hell why not make it do both?

So yeah pick any of those perks and I can definitely pair it with the water potion idea.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Sat May 05, 2012 9:53 am

My Dark Regen, and Fyre's FyreAura and FyreArrow are now complete, tested and working as intended!

Dark Regen - Regen effect works beautifully, but apparently portal particle effects are impossible without Spout, so instead I spam the breaking eye of ender effect (which produces a similar effect).

FyreAura - Negates all fire-related damage while still allowing the burning effect to show.

FyreArrow - This one I might try to fine-tune. Arrows fired don't look like they're on fire until they hit something, but they still catch whatever they hit on fire for a couple hearts of extra damage. A fully-charged shot that can one-shot something like a cow won't make it drop cooked meat however, which I think I'll leave as is for balance.

I still need to test some stuff with other players involved. I switched ISPs and for some reason can't get port forwarding to work, but once I get my test server accessible again I'll give the IP for it here if anyone wants to see the progress.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FyreCat on Sat May 05, 2012 9:59 am

nice
FyreCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Sat May 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Dark Regen - Now only triggers the particle effect while healing (had it going constantly before, looked awful).

Endervention - After trial and error this basically turned into a different ability entirely. As an unintended (but very welcome) side effect of how I coded it, I suffer no damage from teleporting via Ender Pearls, but still take damage if I fall after the teleport or get caught in a small space. Instead of spawning an enderman and teleporting away, if I throw an Ender Pearl at a mob, animal, or player, an enderman will spawn and automatically begin attacking it. I also coded it so I won't teleport to my target when I do this.

I couldn't figure out how to get my server working publicly. I have my external IP address, have opened the port on my router, and even made my computer's local IP static, but I can only connect to my server using localhost or my local IP address. So unfortunately, until I figure out the problem, the best I can do is maybe a video of what's done so far if anyone's interested.

So, yeah... that's it so far. Only FyreCat and I have powers. Anyone else want any?
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver on Sat May 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Passive ability: Explosive Personality
Dieing causes an explosion with the same blast size/power as that of a creeper.
(Effect could be reduced if overpowered)

Active: Cluetacular
Gives an idea for an active ability...

FSCarver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Sat May 05, 2012 3:06 pm

FSCarver wrote:Passive ability: Explosive Personality
Dieing causes an explosion with the same blast size/power as that of a creeper.
(Effect could be reduced if overpowered)

The only issue I see is the possibility of it destroying a player's structure, but I might be able to make the explosion ignore blocks and only hurt mobs/players. As for an ability... I dunno, you can get back to me on that.

And an update to my test server: I found out it's in a private network; my external IP is just the network's "router". So unless I use VPN or my ISP has a solution, I won't be able to make it publicly accessible.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm

FSCarver:
Explosive Personality - Player explodes upon death, hurting entities but doing no structural damage. The way I coded it, when you die it basically creates a TNT entity that detonates immediately, then I made it ignore blocks it would normally damage. I was almost done until I realized it still ended up destroying the player's dropped items. After some work, I got it to where the dropped items aren't destroyed, but as a side effect are invisible until they're picked up.

JJoiler:
Haste - While at 80% hunger and above, bascially any actions involving the player's arms (digging, mining, using a sword, etc) are sped up. For this, all I did was have it constantly check the player's hunger, and if it was high enough it applies the "Haste III" potion effect. If hunger dips below 80% the effect is removed. I have a feeling this one might trigger some NoCheat violations though, since the player's arms literally move much faster.

Carver's agreed to have the plugin active on his server for testing, ask him if you're interested in trying it out.

At this point I'm caught up with everyone's requests and awaiting more!
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  JJoiler on Sun May 06, 2012 3:41 pm

LINKCLX

Lays down tracks 100% faster
JJoiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LinkCLX on Sun May 06, 2012 7:21 pm

JJoiler wrote:LINKCLX

Lays down tracks 100% faster
JJoiler
Cows follow him as if he were holding wheat.

GeorgeIpsum
TNT has a bigger blast radius.

LinkCLX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:30 pm

FSCarver:
Explosive Personality - Added a conditional that should reduce errors, otherwise works as before.

FyreCat:
Fyre Aura - While on fire, will regenerate hunger. Now immune to lava. Water deals damage at a rate similar to lava, AND being rained on makes you lose hunger (seeking shelter will stall this effect).

JJoiler:
Haste - Removed.
Reflexes - Will catch, rather than be damaged by, projectiles, adding them to his inventory. This includes arrows (both from players and skeletons), snowballs, eggs, and fireballs from blazes and ghasts.
Gunblade - Attacks with a sword will simultaneously fire an arrow if any are in his inventory. Arrows fired this way have a weaker velocity and power than those fired from a bow at full strength, making it more useful for mid-range. If his health drops to 2.5 hearts or below, he will launch fire charges instead if he holds any which cause no structural damage. Needs some work; if a second fire charge is shot before the first impacts, one of the two will cause structural damage. Also both attacks be easily become overpowered if used a certain way.

Will email to Carver, let me know what you think.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FyreCat on Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 pm

sirrus86 wrote:FSCarver:
Explosive Personality - Added a conditional that should reduce errors, otherwise works as before.

FyreCat:
Fyre Aura - While on fire, will regenerate hunger. Now immune to lava. Water deals damage at a rate similar to lava, AND being rained on makes you lose hunger (seeking shelter will stall this effect).

JJoiler:
Haste - Removed.
Reflexes - Will catch, rather than be damaged by, projectiles, adding them to his inventory. This includes arrows (both from players and skeletons), snowballs, eggs, and fireballs from blazes and ghasts.
Gunblade - Attacks with a sword will simultaneously fire an arrow if any are in his inventory. Arrows fired this way have a weaker velocity and power than those fired from a bow at full strength, making it more useful for mid-range. If his health drops to 2.5 hearts or below, he will launch fire charges instead if he holds any which cause no structural damage. Needs some work; if a second fire charge is shot before the first impacts, one of the two will cause structural damage. Also both attacks be easily become overpowered if used a certain way.

Will email to Carver, let me know what you think.

I like the idea that regain hunger when on fire and lose it when in the rain :D
FyreCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sunday_verified on Sun May 06, 2012 10:57 pm

The Mxyzptlk Reference-
Passive: Whenever my name is said backwards I die.
Active Ability: Immune to something...
(If anyone know who Mxyzptlk is I'll give them a cookie!)
Sunday_verified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 am

Sunday_verified wrote:The Mxyzptlk Reference-
Passive: Whenever my name is said backwards I die.
Active Ability: Immune to something...
(If anyone know who Mxyzptlk is I'll give them a cookie!)

Isn't that like, the first letter of each word of anti-creation or something?

That's an easy perk to make, but the idea is there's a benfit of some kind SOMEWHERE... I can probably come up with something.

An ability would be like you do something to trigger an effect using something expendable. Maybe like if you hold a certain item in your inventory then you can avoid damage of a similar type? For example, having gunpowder lets you survive an explosion, but consumes it in the process.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

FSCarver
Mob Tamer - Tame monsters using their drops, tamed mobs would follow and defend. Could NOT for the life of me get this to work even close. Melee mobs (like zombies) will just push you around or wander off, while projectile mobs (like skeletons) just stare at you, occassionally shooting you anyway. Even if another mob attacks you, you remain their primary target; I couldn't even code them to change targets, they'd immediately focus back on the player. I think the problem lies in the new AI; they prioritize you over everything else, unless they themselves get hit.

TheClownOfCrime
Vampirism - Burn in sunlight. Basically if the sun is out and you're not under anything, you catch fire. Coded to ignore light created by blocks (torches, glowstone, etc). Since the perk was originally purely detrimental, I added a speed effect for when you're not burning in sunlight. The speed is the same as sprinting but constant, AND stacks with sprinting. For some reason the speed effect won't removed itself once applied (it's supposed to end when you enter sunlight, although the fire damage does slow you down a bit), and seems to stay until the permission for it is removed. Also using the speed and sprinting can trigger movement errors and make the server jerk you around a bit once in awhile; there's no way to prevent this.

And let me just warn you Clown, from testing this, you're gonna die. A lot.

I'm still going to be working on others that have been requested as I get time.

Edit: Once in awhile I'm probably gonna be all like "Yeah I can make that work!" Then five hours of trial and error later I'll go cry in a corner, recompose myself, and suggest that we consider something completely different. This is one of those times.

LinkCLX
Pig Potion - Drinking a water potion restores hunger and boosts attack power. The current Bukkit API has no hook for when a player consumes a potion of any kind, so the best I could do was have it check to see if you ever right-click while holding a potion, consume it, then grant the requested effects. The problem is, for some bizzare reason, the Bukkit API also can't differentiate between different consumed potions. As a result, as I coded it, any potion you'd attempt to consume would give you hunger and attack power, and nothing more. That potion of regeneration? Yeah it's a pig potion now. Happen to be holding a potion of weakness while opening a chest? Duh... PIG POTION. So yeah, buggy as hell.

But I have another idea you might like.

Pig Power - Attracts all pigs within a given radius to follow you. The more pigs following you, the stronger you become, increasing attack power and resilience. When you're attacked, any pigs following you become PigZombies and attack your assailant, returning to pigs when the attacker is killed.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  LinkCLX on Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 pm

I think i can work with the pig potion as finding potions will be a bitch on its own, also what happens with splash potions? Do they share that bug?
Also the other power is badass. Imagine the power if I had pig spawners XD

LinkCLX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver on Mon May 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Sorry for making you cry in a corner Sirrus

FSCarver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sirrus86 on Mon May 07, 2012 5:09 pm

LinkCLX wrote:I think i can work with the pig potion as finding potions will be a bitch on its own, also what happens with splash potions? Do they share that bug?
Also the other power is badass. Imagine the power if I had pig spawners XD

The idea is these powers will persist in Ghis, so basically any potions you brewed would have caused this when you went to use them. Unfortunately, as I have with other perks/abilities that failed, I've already deleted it from the plugin.

Due to the potentially overpowering nature of Pig Power (you hit harder, take less damage, AND have bodyguards) I think it would encompass being both a perk and an ability, though one that kicks in automatically. And yes, standing near pig spawners would make you a beast.

FSCarver wrote:Sorry for making you cry in a corner Sirrus

You should be!

Nah it was a good idea, and maybe if I knew more of what I was doing it could've become possible. I even went as far as copying stuff from the PetCreeper plugin, but even that's outdated.
sirrus86

Back to top Go down

Post  FSCarver on Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 am

Server will be up for the next 8 hours or so.
Want to try out your own powers, or those of someone else? Then this is the time.

At the moment only the powers of me, Sirrus, JJ and FyreCat are available.

FSCarver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top